Sunday, December 11, 2011

just one more time


even though i've been slowly regaining strengh from my health adventure that began last fall, i still struggle hard to see the forest through the trees many days. especially when it comes to missing out on opportunities with my husband or son because of my limitations.

but the other night, God, in His mercy, enabled me to see the captivating forest that surrounds me amidst the trees of my desires.

i was dropping off my first-grade son at a weekly church program. and after we entered the gym together, we exchanged a hug and a kiss before he ran off to dive into the night’s activities. but after he began to run, he paused.

and he looked back at me.

and smiled.

as if to say good-bye and i love you — just one more time.

at that moment in time, the Lord blessed us with yet another relational gift when our eyes and our smiles confirmed our deep love and appreciation for the other. a very simple and ordinary moment in time – that became extraordinary.

because i beheld it.


in God’s tender mercy as my Father, He enabled my mommy heart to recognize that i was receiving a precious treasure in that moment. a gift not to be taken for granted.

admittedly, my heart bled a little (okay, a lot!) at the thought that there will likely come a time when my son doesn’t stop to pause and look back at mommy like that. but i also can’t help but think that if that’s how my heart felt in that moment, how much more must it bless our Father’s heart when we pause?
and look into His tender eyes.

and amidst our running from here to there,
express to Him that we love Him.

just one more time.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking before I read your post, "How God must long for us to slow down. He is never in a rush, and He doesn't want His children to be in a rush." Oh that we would slow down and cherish the blessed moments that He gives to us!

    What a beautiful moment between you and your son :-) Definitely a treasure!

    Thank you for sharing your treasure with us. What a great reminder to slow down and appreciate those precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a precious post. how true! i can't bare to think about my babies growing up. : )

    thank you for your wonderful comment and for stopping by.

    many blessings to you and yours. merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son still gives me those looks, & they are still precious to me! And I love looking at our Heavenly Father reaffirming our love for one another, knowing that He loves me far greater than I could ever comprehend.
    How sweet that you had the "moment" to behold that precious look from N.!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...